Thursday, October 25, 2012

The How

I was reading in Genesis 12 the other day.  It is a familiar story, but I was struck with the weight of it.

Abram is called by God and travels to Canaan.  During his journey there is a famine in the land so he travels to Egypt for a while to live there because the famine is so bad.  He has his wife Sarai say that she is Abram's sister. Sarai is beautiful and Abram fears that Pharaoh will kill him and take Sarai as his wife.  

Pharaoh does take Sarai as his wife, but also blesses Abram with sheep and cattle, donkeys, and servants.  However, Pharaoh's household is inflicted with serious diseases because of Sarai.  Pharaoh is very upset and quickly sends Abram and Sarai away.

God promised Abram a future and called him to a new land.  There is a famine in the land and Abram decides to go to Egypt where there is food.  If God had called him, did he not believe that God would provide food for him during a famine? God did not tell Abram to go to Egypt. Abram takes the "how" of his future into his own hands.  Then Abram does not trust God with the "how" of the safety of himself and his family.  He decides to come up with his own plan for his safety and ends up making a fool of himself.  

I certainly identify with Abram.  I so often feel like I am responsible for the "how" of my future.  Yes, God may have called me to something very specific, but I seem to believe that I am responsible for getting myself there.  In my distrust I just end up looking foolish.  

God does not go back on his promises and he will provide for the how.  I need to stop trying so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment